These wings are amazing. Although the flavor of BBQ chicken wings does vary depending on the marinade ingredients used, we are sticking with garlic, ginger, honey, oyster sauce, and sesame oil here, because those flavors combine beautifully and the resulting wings are simply fantastic.
You can marinate them for as long as you want in a resealable bag or dish. You can even prepare a big batch and freeze them. The thawing time (overnight in the fridge is best) will marinate them.
This recipe makes 10 wings which are enough for 2 people, but of course, you can double or triple the recipe, hardly adding any time to the preparation.
Unless you like flipping your wings one by one on the barbecue or in the oven, why not thread them on to skewers? Bamboo skewers should be soaked in water for half an hour first (else they might ignite in the heat) but of course metal ones do not.
Enjoy these as an appetizer or as part of the main dish, perhaps served with rice or fries. If you like them spicy, serve a hot chili sauce on the side for dipping, and perhaps some lime wedges too, to add a bright acidity to the finished taste. If you love wings, you will love this recipe.
Yield: 10; Prep Time: 15 minutes; Cook Time: 30 minutes; Serving: For 2 Persons.
- chicken wings – 10
- minced garlic – 1 clove
- honey – 3 tablespoons, plus more if barbecuing
- oyster sauce – 2 tablespoons
- sesame oil – 1 teaspoon
- ginger juice – 1 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- white pepper – to taste
- Rinse the chicken wings and pat them dry on paper towels.
- Combine the other ingredients in a non-metallic dish and add the chicken wings.
- Ensure they are well coated.
- Let them marinate overnight, or for at least an hour.
- Take them out of the fridge an hour before cooking.
- Drain off and discard the marinade.
- Now you can either cook them on the barbecue or in the oven.
- For the barbecue, oil the grate then get it nice and hot.
- Cook the chicken wings until they are golden brown.
- Brush some honey over them and give them another 10 minutes.
- Next, cover the barbecue and let the wings sit in there for a further 10 minutes.
- If you prefer to bake them, preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.
- Bake the wings until the meat is tender and the skin is crispy.
- We recommend squeezing lime juice over the wings and serving them with a spicy chili sauce dip.