In many Asian countries, the bamboo plant is a major part of their culture. Naturally, the young shoots of the bamboo are also an integral part of the cuisine in these parts. Bamboo shoots can be relished in many ways they can be fried, pickled, and used as garnishes and flavorings in other dishes.
The shoots are much treasured because of their crunchy texture and the pungent and sweet flavor that they infuse the dishes with. Many Asian cuisines get a lot of their eastern taste from the bamboo shoots and are identified much like spices are with South Asian cuisine. Leaving their culinary benefits aside, one need not be from the East to include them in the diet, as bamboo shoots are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Low in fat and calories, this is one food item that can be every WeightWatchers dream come true. It also has numerous other health benefits that make the shoots a potent health food. It can easily be included in any dish to liven up the taste with its characteristic taste and aroma. To familiarize yourself more with all health and nutritional benefits the bamboo shoots have to offer, continue reading further.
Nutritional Facts Of Bamboo Shoots
Amount of Bamboo Shoots: 1 cup
Total Weight of Bamboo Shoots: 120 g
|Calories From Carbohydrate||6.5|
|Calories From Fat||2.2|
|Calories From Protein||4.5|
|Total Carbohydrate||1.8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.2 g|
|Fats and Fatty Acids|
|Total Fat||0.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.1 g|
|Poly-saturated Fat||0.1 g|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acids||18.3 mg|
|Omega-6 Fatty Acids||99.6 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.1 mg|
Health Benefits Of Eating Bamboo Shoots
- Bamboo shoots are a rich storehouse of phytochemicals and so have many anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-cancer properties.
- They help in lowering high blood pressure because they are an excellent source of potassium. Just a cup of bamboo shoots is enough to provide a fifth of the daily potassium requirements.
- Bamboo shoots help in reducing the Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL), also known as bad cholesterol in the body. Since they are very low in calories, they are highly beneficial for people who are obese. In addition, they are rich in fiber and so reduce frequent hunger pangs, which again is a boon for the obese. The juice of bamboo shoots is very effective in reducing intestinal worms.
- The risk of heart disease and other chronic diseases can be reduced by including bamboo shoots in the diet, as they are a good source of phenolic acids, which have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. The potassium present in the shoots boosts the health of the heart. The anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties reduce the risk of cancer and injury to blood vessels.
- The shoots also play a major role in curing internal poisoning. Bamboo shoots also improve digestion and are very beneficial in various stomach disorders, specifically diarrhea. The shoots are known to improve the appetite.
- Since the shoots have good fiber content, they are beneficial in preventing erratic bowel movement and chronic constipation. A single bowl of bamboo shoots meets the daily fiber requirements of the body.
- Traditionally bamboo shoots have been used as home medicine to reduce and cure spasms in the gall bladder.
- The measles cycle in children can speed up if they are fed bamboo soup every day. The children should be given bamboo shoots twice a day. This will speed up the appearance of the measles rashes, which will result in a faster recovery.
- In traditional medicine, bamboo shoots have been used to stimulate and regulate menstruation. It can also be used to induce labor in the last months of pregnancy. After childbirth, it eases the expulsion of the placenta and prevents excessive loss of blood.
- Minor wounds can be cleaned using bamboo shoots. The juice can be used to clean the wounds that are maggot-infested. Make a poultice with the fresh juice of bamboo shoots and apply it on the sores.
- Drinking a glass of bamboo shoot juice twice a day can treat ulcers. Applying the juice on the ulcers is also quite effective.
- Bleeding piles and gonorrhea can be treated with bamboo shoots.
The juice of tender bamboo shoots mixed with a tablespoon of honey drunk twice a day can be used to treat respiratory diseases.