There are numerous “classic” Thanksgiving dishes. In just the last few decades, a green bean casserole formula has become included with that list. Campbell’s Soup company developed the first standard green bean casserole formula. It hasn’t changed much since then. just a couple steps to get much more flavor in a green bean casserole recipe. It takes just a few steps.
The basics of a green bean casserole recipe
Richness into food was the purpose of the traditional green bean casserole. Traditional green bean recipes are typically not really good. Flavor appears to be missing. Green bean casserole recipes add cream of mushroom soup for creaminess and French fried onions for crunch. This classic recipe, however, has loss luster. So what should I do to make my green bean casserole recipe better? You can do this effortlessly. The basics will be needed.
You can make the dish from scratch instead of getting canned soup. This could be made a day ahead of time, with minimal assembly; just reheat it the next day. It’s the perfect match for a savory meal.
- Get 1/4 cup of butter
- 1 large yellow onion, half diced and half sliced
- Dice one bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- You’ll need salt. Get 1 teaspoon worth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Get 1/4 cup flour. You’ll need some flour. Get 1/4 cup worth
- You’ll need 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 – 1 1/2 lb French-cut green beans
- Get 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup canola, corn, or vegetable oil
- Over medium heat, you will need to melt butter in a heavy-bottom skillet or dutch oven.
- Until soft and smelling good the diced onions, bell peppers, and garlic.
- You can get rid of the liquid next. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper and then keep cooking till it’s gone.
- Over vegetables, until coated, sprinkle three tablespoons of flour and mix.
- While stirring at times, add the milk. Turn up the heat and cook until thick.
- Stir in sour cream after pulling off of the heat. Set it to the side.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. While water is heating, fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Until green beans are bright green, cook them in boiling water. Immediately put them within the cold water. That’s where you would like the beans.
- Mix green beans with Parmesan cheese and sauce.
- Put sliced onion with the last tablespoon of flour. Until quite hot, heat oil in a heavy skillet.
- You’ll want to fry the floured onions. The oil is for this. The green beans can have fried onions to them. Top it in this way.
- Heat the entire casserole in a 350-degree oven for about 30 to 45 minutes. If your oven is full, the mixture can be microwaved on medium-high.