Whether in the warmer months or the cooler months, an easy chicken casserole recipe is always handy to have close by. Casseroles are satisfying, easy to prepare and can be cooked right on your stovetop or left to cook in the oven or a slow cooker without too much bother.
As we are becoming more and more time-poor it is usually not practical to cook a satisfying healthy and delicious meal every night of the week. It would be ideal, but with the amount of juggling we all do between work, family and just trying to squeeze in some leisure time, it is sometimes nice to come home to a homemade meal you’ve prepared in your own kitchen.
This is where casseroles are making a huge comeback and now play an important role in our menu planning. You can make a big pot of casserole on the weekend and you have at least a couple of meals ready for weeknights when you get home from work tired and hungry, but without motivation to spend hours in the kitchen. As an added bonus, casseroles usually freeze well and can easily be reheated.
This easy Chicken Casserole recipe only needs a few basic ingredients and takes around an hour to complete from start to finish. This recipe is great as a quick weeknight dinner or maybe even as a main course for a relaxed dinner party. You can finish cooking this casserole on the stovetop, your slow cooker, or in the oven.
- 1 Leek
- 2 Sticks Celery
- 1 Large Chicken or 1kg chicken pieces
- Cup White Wine
- Approx. Cup Water adds a little more if it’s too dry.
- 2-3 Bay Leaves
- Pinch Tarragon
- 2 Cups Fresh Button Mushrooms or a Can of Champignons or both
- Cup Cream
- 2tblsp Light Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Lightly brown the chicken in several batches in light olive oil. After each batch has browned, remove with a slotted spoon, and add extra oil for the next batch if necessary.
- Quick Note: The reason you need to brown the chicken in a couple of batches is, if you over-crowd the pot with the chicken, the temperature will drop too quickly and you end up with boiled chicken rather than brown. At this stage, the chicken should only be half-cooked on the inside.
- Cut Leek in half lengthways, then slice into half rounds.
- When all the chicken pieces have browned put them all back in the pan.
- Add sliced Leeks, Bay Leaves, Tarragon, and Salt & Pepper.
- Sautee for a few minutes until the leek starts to soften.
- Add wine and water.
- Cover with lid and cook on low heat until the chicken is soft and cooked through.
- Quick Note: At this stage, you can put your casserole in the oven or a slow cooker to finish cooking, or you can continue to finish it on the stove.
- During the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking, add Mushrooms.
- Add Cream right at the end, stir through.
You can serve this delicious quick and easy chicken casserole either with steamed rice, mashed potatoes, and steamed green beans or broccoli or crusty bread and a side salad.
I hope you and your family and friends enjoy my Easy Chicken Casserole as much as we do.