Easy Chopped Thai Chicken Slaw Recipe
This Thai chicken salad is delightfully fresh, healthy, colorful, and tasty. It seems like a long list of ingredients, but as with most salads, you’ll find this so easy to put together! For a more hearty meal, soak a packet of rice stick noodles in boiled water for 7-10 minutes, drain and place at the bottom of the plate under the salad. Chicken can be replaced with pan-fried tofu, beef, or prawns.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups of Krispkut™ Superslaw or shredded green or white cabbage
- 1 cup Krispkut™ Mediterranean Rocket
- 1 handful of snow peas
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 green papaya*
- ½ cup fresh coriander
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped peanuts, roasted
*Green papaya is available at Asian-style markets or greengrocers. If you have trouble finding it, telegraph cucumber makes a great substitute.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 red chilies
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup of water
- Poach the chicken.
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a small, heavy-bottomed pot. They should fit snugly in a single layer. Cover chicken with broth or water (allowing an inch of water above the chicken).
- Bring to a boil, then quickly reduce heat to low so that the water is barely at a simmer. Partly cover and gently simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat completely, and allow the chicken to remain in hot water for 15-20 minutes. When the chicken is done, remove from heat, drain water, let cool, and shred with two forks.
- Prepare the salad:
Chop the cabbage into very thin pieces. Using a peeler is a quick way of doing this. Peel and grate the carrots. Cut off the skin, remove the seeds and grate the papaya. Roughly chop the coriander and green onions. Toss the chicken and vegetables in a large bowl and keep chilled.
Mince the garlic and chili peppers. Mix with all other dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth and creamy. Drizzle over salad.
- Garnish with crushed peanuts and serve.