Getting creative with your salads will change your life! You’ll discover a magnificent world of vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds that you may not have heard of before. Today we are using millet – an ancient grain renowned for its health benefits.
It’s one of my favourite grains and paired with roasted veggies and a gorgeous garlic yoghurt dressing, it will leave you feeling satiated, nourished and not the slightest bit guilty. Millet has a nutty, earthy flavour and is also gluten-free, rich in protein, fibre, minerals and antioxidants. What’s more, it has a low glycemic index, keeping you fuller and energised for longer.
- ¾ cup cooked millet
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 ears of corn on the cob
- 1 capsicum of any color
- 1 cup of mini Roma or grape tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls of fresh herbs (mint and coriander pair particularly nicely with this dish)
- 120g packet mixed greens (Krispkut™ Mesclun works well)
- 1 cup of natural unsweetened Greek yogurt
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1-2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- Fresh mint leaves
- dash of water
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Slice all vegetables. Place eggplant in a colander in the sink and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp salt. Set aside for 15 minutes. Rinse well and drain.
- Boil millet on the stove according to packet instructions (usually 10-15 minutes). Barbeque or pan grill eggplant and zucchini in olive oil until browned. Transfer zucchini and eggplant to a baking tray, adding whole tomatoes, corn, and chopped capsicum. Cover tray and place in oven.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Add water as necessary until the mix is a good pouring consistency.
- Once all vegetables in the tray are warm, add hot cooked millet and stir through fresh herbs and leafy greens. Serve immediately with lots of dressing.