4 Great Baked Halibut Recipes
Halibut, a flatfish from the genus ‘Hippoglossus’ is one of the largest saltwater fishes that can weigh up to 160 pounds or at times even more. The halibut is one of the most popular fishes amongst seafood lovers. This particular flatfish gets its name from the word ‘haly’ which means ‘holy’ and ‘but’ which means ‘flat-fish’.
The halibut as a food item is a rich source of proteins and other essential nutrients like magnesium, minerals selenium, potassium, vitamin B, and phosphorus and is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. It is because of these properties that halibut is also recommended by doctors.
Though the halibut can be cooked in many different ways, this writes up provides you with a few celebrated baked halibut recipes that are sure to tickle your taste buds and leave you craving for more. Read the following sections to learn a few lip-smacking baked halibut recipes.
- 1 lb Halibut Fillet
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup to 1 cup Onions (chopped)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- Fine Bread Crumbs (as per requirement)
- Soak the fish in white wine and salt solution and marinate it overnight.
- Drain the fish the next day and then place it in a baking dish.
- Meanwhile, add the chopped onion to the mayonnaise and sour cream mixture and spread it over the fish. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the fish and then sprinkle the fish with paprika.
- Bake the fish for 20 minutes at 450°F and serve.
Baked Halibut Steaks
- 6 oz Halibut Steak
- 1 cup of Zucchini (diced)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- ½ cup Onion (minced)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Basil (chopped)
- 1 clove Garlic (peeled and minced)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 cups of fresh tomatoes (diced)
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper (ground)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and lightly grease a shallow baking dish.
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and heat olive oil in it over medium heat. Stir in the zucchini, onion, and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes and then remove the saucepan from heat and mix in the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Now arrange the halibut steaks in a single layer on the preheated baking dish. Spread equal amounts of zucchini mixture over each steak, and then top with feta cheese.
- Bake fish for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
Baked Halibut With Parmesan Cheese And Bread Crumbs
- 6 Halibut Steaks (1 inch thick)
- 2 cloves of Garlic (finely chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1/8 tsp Thyme (dried and crumbled)
- Freshly Black Pepper (ground)
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs (dried)
- Lemon Wedges (a few)
- Place the steaks in an oiled shallow baking pan and sprinkle salt and pepper over.
- Combine together the bread crumbs, garlic, oil, cheese, and thyme to make a thick paste. Pat this thick paste on the steaks.
- Bake the steaks in the preheated oven over 450°F for 15 minutes. Garnish the cooked fish with lemon wedges and serve.
Foil Baked Halibut
- 12-inch length of Heavy Foil
- 1 lb Halibut Fillets
- 2 Carrots (cut into strips)
- 4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 small Green Pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- Salt, Pepper, and Paprika (to taste)
- Place ¼ of the fish on each length of heavy foil and sprinkle each portion with a dash of salt, pepper, paprika, and a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Divide the cut vegetables among the 4 portions and lay them on top of the fish, and draw up the corners of the foil to the center.
- Bake the fish in a preheated oven over 450°F for around 7 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. The cooking time depends on the thickness of the fish.
These are a few popular baked halibut recipes. You can feel free to add ingredients of your choice or try different permutations and combinations to come up with your own unique baked halibut recipes.