How To Make Oatmeal, Easy and Simple
Oatmeal is one of the most favorite breakfast dishes, not so much for its taste as for its various nutritional values. It is loaded with proteins that give the perfect energy boost to a lethargic body at the start of the day.
It is also believed that the daily consumption of oatmeal can reduce the cholesterol level in the blood and also reduce the risk of heart disease. It is rich in fiber and beta-glucans and so it leads to proper digestion and reduces the risk of infections.
No wonder, oatmeal is the most preferred and most recommended dish to start the day. Apart from its nutritional value, another advantage of oatmeal is that preparing it takes just a couple of minutes. So, even in very hectic mornings, one can be assured of proper nutrition and energy with just a bowl of oatmeal.
You can make this dish interesting by adding toppings and flavors of your choice. To know how to make the most delicious oatmeal continue reading further on the various ways in which you can make oatmeal.
- Toppings and flavors (fruits, nuts, syrup, honey, cinnamon)
- In a pot take the oats and add milk. Then stir thoroughly. Add slices of fresh fruits and nuts before serving.
- Rolled oats can be prepared from both water and milk or both. In a vessel take two parts of water or milk or both and add one part of oats.
- Set the flame to medium heat and stir slowly to mix the liquid and oats. Stir frequently until the mixture begins to simmer. Let the mixture continue to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes until the liquid thickens and the oats begin to soften.
- At this stage you can add flavors like syrup, sugar and honey. For the perfect oatmeal it is better if you taste the oats every five minutes to gauge the texture and thickness.
- If you like your oats to be mushy then add more of milk or water and keep on simmering until it becomes thick. If you don’t like the thick texture then add more liquid and simmer until the oatmeal thins.
- Before serving you can top the oatmeal with brown sugar, maple syrup or cinnamon.
Rolled oatmeal looks like flakes as they are first steamed and then flattened. Sometimes before steaming and flattening the rolled oats may be cut into small pieces.
Steel Cut Oats
- Place a pot on medium heat and pour three parts of milk or water or both. Add one part of oats and then bring it to a boil.
- Let the oats boil for five minutes and then turn off the heat. Add any flavorings and then place a cover over the pot and let the oats stand for ten minutes.
- If the oats have not softened then set the oats to boil again and leave it to stand.
Steel-cut oats are those oats in which the insides of the oat kernel are chopped to pieces. They are not steamed and flattened.
- In a bowl take the instant oatmeal and then add hot water and milk. Stir thoroughly to mix. You can increase or decrease the amount of liquid according to your taste.
- Another method to cook this is to take the oatmeal in a bowl and add cold water to it. Then microwave the oatmeal for a minute or two.
Instant oatmeal is the one that has been precooked and dried. They can be found in a variety of flavors. There are various ways to make oatmeal. The article, how to make oatmeal, will show you how you can make different types of oatmeal for a more diverse breakfast option.