Mango chutney is one of the best ways to preserve the fruit that comes only once a year and that too for just about 2 months. Two mango chutney recipes are popular at my home sweet mango chutney that is made with ripe mangoes and sour mango chutney made with raw mangoes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 red chili, sliced
- 2 teaspoons whole nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4-5 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- In a heavy-bottomed vessel, heat oil on medium-high.
- Saute the ginger, garlic, and red chilies for a minute.
- Add the powdered spices and saute for another minute.
- Now is the turn of mangoes. Add the diced mangoes, sugar, salt, and vinegar and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a rapid boil and reduce the flame to medium-low.
- Let it simmer for 1 hour. Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
Notes This recipe is for sweet mango chutney that I like more as it can be easily paired with dal-rice or had with chapatis in absence of a vegetable to go with them or can even be spread on a slice of bread for a quick snack. My mom loves having a mango chutney bread sandwich with her evening tea and is more than obliged to make it for her in return for my favorite mango lassi! She makes yummy beverages with mango and I become a mango maniac in these 2 summer months!
Tip: The consistency of chutney depends on what you like. If you like a thicker one, mash the mango chunks thoroughly. If you prefer a watery consistency with larger mango chunks, then avoid the masher.
This chutney will survive for a good 2 months in your refrigerator, so though it seems time-taking, you should look at it as only a one-time effort.
You may also like the mango lassi recipe, bel sharbat recipe, strawberry milkshake recipe, banana milkshake recipe, recipes for smoothies