Happy (Belated) New Year! I don’t know about you, but it always seems like the holiday season is filled with lots and lots of delicious food (and drinks!) which are hard to say ‘no’ to. And who wants to? The holidays are the time when you can relax, take a break and enjoy the little things about life, with your friends and family.
So enjoy that food and drink, but balance it out with some other healthy meal alternatives – like a smoothie! The New Year smoothie below is a great way to start the morning, especially before the end of the NZ avocado season!
New Year Smoothie
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 a green apple (cored, skin on)
- 1 avocado (small, peeled, and pitted)
- dash of lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Coconut Water
- Crushed ice (enough to reach the desired thickness, ice will crush up in the blender)
- Blend everything together until the apple is crushed and everything is smooth.
Don’t you just love the calming green color of this smoothie? I have to warn you, the first time I made this smoothie, I used quite a large avocado and the smoothie ended up tasting like pureed avocado! Luckily I love the things 🙂 I would suggest using a small, ripe avocado, or you could use just one half of a large one, to help you get the right balance of ingredients. But then again, you should adjust any of the ingredients to your taste buds!