Table of Contents
Health Benefits of the Sweet Potato
Sweet potatoes are food known for health benefits. Here are some examples of health benefits from sweet potatoes.
Most people will get some vitamin C in their diet one way or another, but it’s also true that some evidence suggests that getting a high amount of vitamin C can have benefits above and beyond getting the minimum amount. Sweet potatoes have a significant amount of vitamin C in them. This helps with your immune system in order to make it strong enough to ward off various maladies like viruses or bacterial infections.
You can usually tell when a food has a lot of beta carotene in it because of the orange color. This is another factor that helps with your immune system. In addition, beta-carotene is an antioxidant. Antioxidants have been known to help reduce your odds of getting cancer and make the effects of aging less of an issue. A number of different studies across the nation have shown that those who eat a lot of foods that have carotenoids like beta carotene in them will end up living healthier lives free of breast cancer, lung cancer, and other maladies more so than their counterparts that don’t eat enough of it.
Sweet potatoes have a significant amount of vitamin B6. The vitamin is useful in destroying substances known for hardening your arteries and increasing heart disease. The vitamin will keep your arteries clear and healthy with blood flowing smoothly through them. In particular, it can help keep arterial throughways in your body flexible enough to keep blood free of blockages which could cause you some very serious health consequences in the long run.
There’s also a lot of potassium in sweet potatoes which can help absorb salt you have in your body as well to keep yourself well balanced.
Eating enough fiber is critical when it comes to keep yourself healthy and going to the bathroom easily. Sweet potatoes have around 7 grams of fiber in them, which makes them one of the better foods around for fiber. It’s actually a lot harder than you might think to find healthy foods that have this much fiber content. A lot of foods have only a small amount of fiber if they have any fiber available at all.
The extra fiber also means that the rest of the food is going to be more healthy because you’ll get energy from it in a slower fashion instead of burning through all of the energy all at once.
Overall, sweet potatoes are rich in a number of nutrients.
How to Cook Baked Sweet Potatoes
If you are looking for variety to your everyday potatoes, how about trying baked sweet potatoes? They come with just as many (maybe more) benefits as Irish potatoes and they are delicious. In fact, for many, baked sweet potatoes are a family favorite that is always prepared on special occasions. If you have never tried to prepare them before here is the best way to cook a baked sweet potato.
- You will need one large sweet potato and some vegetable oil. You will also need aluminum foil.
- Preheat the oven to 375F as you prepare the potato. It helps you save time.
- Wash the sweet potato under running water. Make sure that all dirt is off. Pat dry the potato using a kitchen towel.
- Cut off a piece of aluminum foil to wrap the potato in. Oil the potato all over with the vegetable oil.
- Prick the sweet potato all over with a fork. You do this so that the potato can release moisture as it cooks. If you don’t do this they will burst as they bake.
- Wrap the foil around the potato and make sure that it is well sealed. If you leave any spaces your sweet potato will dry out as it cooks.
- Place in the oven. Depending on how big your sweet potato is it should take between 30 minutes and one hour to bake. Check after half an hour by putting a fork through. If it is not ready keep checking every ten minutes until it is ready.
- If you have time you should switch off the oven and leave the potatoes in there. It will continue to cook slowly and eventually it will be extremely well cooked and moist.
- You can eat them right away or let them cool and then freeze them.
This is the best way to cook a baked sweet potato. In order to be more efficient it is always better to bake them when you are baking something else. Don’t worry so much about getting the temperature right – sweet potatoes can cook at lower that 375F. all you need to do is adjust cooking time.
If you don’t have the time to bake sweet potatoes you can also prepare them in the microwave. Just pierce with a fork as above and then place it in the microwave for about 8 minutes. Check whether they are done. If not cook for another minute.
Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges
When it concerns real dishes, our weekday food selection is nothing consider. Most nights I’m so tired from baking throughout the day I wish to place down on the sofa, switch on the television, and tell take-out. During night times I combat that desire. My ace in the hole? Reliable dishes, baby. There’s nothing more comfort compared to baking a dish you understand like the support of your palm.
When it concerns sweet potatoes, I’m a hard fan. Pancakes, Sweet potato fritters, French fries, croquettes, quesadillas and muffins make me pleased and starving. Recently I was make these burgers for supper and desired an interesting side which was hearty and healthy. My mind immediately picked sweet potato French fries. However, as I am slicing the potatoes, I prepared a split choice and slashed them right into wide wedges, as an alternative.
Essential ingredients for baked crispy sweet Potato Wedges
Potatoes have lots of energy and have a tasty starchy flavor. It is a favorite starch side meal for the chef of any home.
This fundamental dish needs few components, making it minimalists fantasize become a reality! To earn this alluring snack, you’ll require sweet potatoes, Italian seasoning, a pinch of brown sugar olive oil, salt, and black pepper. You’ll require a large cooking sheet, a baking shelf (it is what I utilize), and some tinfoil. The settings take no initiative and must get less than ten mins. Ideal for nights you remain in no state of mind to fuss with meals.
These oven baked potato wedges have to cook for 35 mins, so remember when preparing a “consume” time. If you’re cooking something quickly like chicken burgers or cutlets, I suggest preparing the potato wedges and putting potato in the oven initially, after that working with the remainder of the dish as they cook in the oven.
The oven-baked potato wedges may cook on an oven-protect shelf that’s been put on a huge cooking sheet lined aluminum foil. You’ll cook these at 450 levels (F) for Half an Hour. At this moment you’ll cranky on the griddle (or enhance the temperature level to the griddle setting, depending upon how the oven functions) and allow them to cook for an added 3-5 mins. This procedure is what obtains the outdoors layer SO crunchy.
Suggestion: When the broiler gets on the potato wedges may bake Quick. I advise remaining nearby as well as watching them. When they look crispy and golden, draw them out. I keep them for the complete 5 mins; however, I like my well done. In an initiative to truly inflate the taste, I threw these French fries with little fresh basil from our estate and grated Parmesan cheese. These wedges are scrumptious with chipotle or ketchup mayo.
The baking times detailed above are approximate; it relies on how thick you sliced the sweet potato wedges. For finest outcomes, aim to reduce the wedges equally; this will certainly help them prepare at concerning the very same price.
Baked Sweet Potato With Orange
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled, and halved
- 1 teaspoon shredded orange peel
- 1 peeled orange, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Layer sweet potatoes and orange slices in buttered 10x6x2-inch baking dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to boil. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes, pour over potatoes and orange slices.
- Bake at a 350° 35 to 40 minutes, spooning sauce over potatoes several times.
- Orange baked sweet potatoes recipe serves 4 to 6.