My son and I make these muffins throughout the summer as soon as the strawberries are ripe. These muffins work well with any type of berries, though we like it with strawberries best. It has a buttery, vanilla flavor so you can bake them without any berries at all…but we recommend you toss some in the bowl! They’re easy to make and the house smells incredible while they’re baking.
Make enough for a double batch. Trust me, they’ll go quick.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 quart fresh berries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a muffin tin with non-stick spray or butter. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk and blend well.
- Stir in the strawberries and divide the batter evenly among the twelve muffin tins.
- Sprinkle the tops with a bit of additional sugar and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown and risen.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pans.
Notes: If fresh berries are out of season, rinse frozen blueberries with cold water until it runs clear. Dry with towel carefully so as not to smush. Stir in the berries, but don’t over stir.