With help of this recipe, you will be able to make chicken pot pie in about 1 hour 45 minutes.
Makes 2-4 pie
For the Savory Crust:
- 250 grams or 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 13 tablespoons of butter
- 6 tablespoons of sour cream/smooth yogurt
- 1 tsp of cider vinegar
- 1/4th cup chilled water
- 1 beaten egg (for egg wash)
For the Filling:
- 4 pounds of chicken with the bone on
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 medium leeks
- 1 large sliced onion
- 1/4th cup of dry sherry
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1/4th of cup thick milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 tsp of butter
- 5 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of green peas
- 2 large diced carrots
- 2 tsp of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions to prepare chicken pot pie:
- Combine the flour and salt in a wide bowl, adding diced butter till it’s crumbly.
- In a separate dish, mix together sour cream, vinegar and whisk it with water, slowly adding it to the flour mixture. Wrap the dough in plastic film and chill for two hours.
- To make the filling, halve and season the chicken generously. Take a non-stick pan and brown them on all sides.
- Remove the chicken and add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil and soften the onions and leeks with pepper.
- Add the sherry and simmer till it is cooked off. Next, add the milk and chicken broth, thyme to a boil.
- After this you may add the crisp chicken to the stew and cook for about half an hour, to soak up the juices.
- Remove the leaves and chop up the chicken into small pieces, skimming the fat.
- Mash the butter and flour in a smaller bowl, adding a ladleful of filling as you go along.
- Cook with the carrots and peas till it resembles gravy.
- You may then proceed to shred the chicken, without sneaking in a taste.
- To assemble, heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- The dough must be separated into quarters and rolled out according to the baking dishes, ladle filling in, and make the lids with one inch hanging off.
- Whisk the egg with water and apply to the dough with a pastry brush.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the crust is browned.