If you are like me and have driven to your favorite chicken joint on a Sunday only to be disappointed that you had forgotten they were closed, This recipe is for you!
Like many of you, we love Chik-fil-A so when I came across a variation that claimed to be “close to” the one-of-a-kind flavor my kid’s love, I had to try it out.
This one is a keeper and every teen who has eaten these with us has requested the recipe to give to their mom. So, here it is!
This is one of our favorite recipes for fast food made at home and it’s the only way to get your fix on a Sunday. I always get requests for the recipe from my kid’s friends so they can share it with their moms.
Whether you choose the sandwich or prepare it as nuggets, you will be surprised at how close this comes to the familiar flavor everyone loves.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use 5 oz size)
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 -1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar sliced pickles with juice
- Lay chicken on cutting board and top with a sheet of plastic wrap.
- Pound to make chicken flatter. (Depending on the size of your chicken breasts, you may want to cut them in half horizontally using a sharp knife.)
- Lay chicken in a baking dish or in a large zip-top bag.
- Pour 1/2 of the pickle juice from the jar over the chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare egg wash by whisking eggs with milk. Set aside.
- Prepare flour dredge in a separate bowl. Add powdered sugar, salt, and pepper to the flour and combine. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot (I use a thermometer to be sure my oil is 350-375).
- Dip chicken in egg wash, then flour to coat well. Drop into oil and cook until golden.
- Butter buns and toast in a large skillet until the butter has melted into the bread.
- Serve with pickles.
- You can also make nuggets by cutting the chicken into cubes. Same great results.