If the Greek legend is to be believed, Zeus, the presiding God of Mount Olympus was brought up solely on a diet of honey and milk. Honey is a complex and highly nutritive food that is easy to digest and readily absorbed by the body. Apart from being a wholesome and healthy product, honey is also known for its medicinal properties.
Natural honey is obtained from the honeycombs of the honey bees. It consists of fructose and glucose in high quantity, which gives it its distinct taste, because of which it is preferred over table sugar by a number of people. A small quantity of honey is packed with high energy, making it a natural health supplement for people who are engaged in hard physical labor.
There are varieties of honey available in the market, depending upon the water content and the type of sugar it contains.
Honey Nutrition Facts
Amount of Honey: 1 cup
Total Weight of Honey: 339 g
|Calories From Carbohydrate||1027|
|Calories From Protein||3.4|
|Total Carbohydrate||279 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0.7 g|
|Vitamin C||1.7 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.2 mg|
Health Benefits of Honey
- As mentioned before, honey is a completely natural health supplement. Its major constituent is a carbohydrate, which is vital for providing the body with the strength and energy needed for performing physical tasks. It also contains fructose, which helps in preventing fatigue while performing physical labor. Additionally, honey contains glucose which is easily absorbed by the body and hence gives instant energy.
- Honey has the properties which help in building immunity. Honey also has antibacterial properties and antioxidants, which are necessary for improving the digestive system and, in turn, fighting diseases. The anti-oxidizing properties make honey a prime product for the prevention of heart diseases.
- Honey contains carcinogen-preventing and anti-tumor properties, which makes it an imperative agent to prevent cancerous developments.
- If you are a fitness freak, then here is an interesting fact that you should know about honey. Honey contains 40% fewer calories than table sugar. Also, honey contains high fructose and glucose content, which makes it sweeter than sugar. Honey gives energy to the body, but never adds on to the weight.
- Honey provides an instant source of energy. When mixed with water in certain quantities, the mixture is absorbed by the body in less than 7 minutes. This makes it a must for school-going children, who need a regular dose of energy for performing well in academics as well as other activities.
- Since times immemorial, honey is used as an antiseptic for wounds, cuts, and minor burns. It has the quality to absorb moisture from the air, making it a nice antiseptic.
- If you have consumed a lot of alcohol last night and are having a hangover, honey would come to your aid. It contains fructose which helps the liver in early oxidation of alcohol and hence acts as a sobering agent.
- Honey is also helpful in case of sore throats because of its antimicrobial properties. It kills certain types of bacteria and soothes down the throat when consumed after mixing with warm water.
- Honey is also helpful if you are not able to sleep. Mix a spoonful of honey in milk and drink it before going to bed. This will relax the body and will soothe the mind too.
After reading this, you will surely agree with the fact that honey, indeed, is a bundle of calorie-free sweet delight for the health-conscious. Despite being a sweet food, it can be easily included in the daily diet.