Jalapeno Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Turn up the heat on traditional jalapeno mashed potatoes. Adding a roasted jalapeno and pepper jack cheese takes plain jane potatoes to a new level.
You can even get great results in a pinch by substituting instant potatoes. Delicious results either way!
- 2 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream, warm
- 1 or 2 jalapeno pepper, roasted, peeled, and pureed or mashed
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- salt and pepper
- Faster Method: You can substitute instant mashed potatoes in this recipe. Prepare according to package directions, then add jalapeno & pepper jack cheese.
- Turn oven to 400 & roast 1 or 2 jalapenos on a baking sheet.
- Transfer roasted jalapenos to a Ziploc bag & put them in the fridge to soften the skin. Once cool, peel, seed & mash the jalapeno- set aside.
- Thoroughly wash, clean, and diced potatoes.
- Place them in a pot of water with a dash of salt.
- Bring potatoes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes until fork-tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and drain.
- In the same pot add the butter.
- Using a handheld masher or hand mixer, mash the butter into the potatoes.
- Add enough warm cream until desired smoothness is achieved.
- Season the potatoes with jalapeno, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Mix in shredded cheese and stir until combined (Don’t over-stir, you want cheesy sections in the potatoes).