This cheezy vegan pasta recipe is great for everyone who misses the creaminess of mac’n’cheese on a plant-based lifestyle. And you wouldn’t believe where the creaminess of this recipe comes from….
I’ve seen recipes similar to this, but I kind of tweaked it a little to my liking. And I think it tastes phenomenal! It’s super-rich and creamy without the heaviness of cream or cheese sauces. And so simple to make!
- pasta (I used corn pasta here, but you can use what you like, preferably not plain white pasta, though – maybe opt for whole wheat!)
- 1 sweet potato (I used a small one, for more people, use a bigger one)
- about 1/2 cup of your favorite plant-based milk (I used calcium-enriched oat milk)
- 1 tsp of mustard
- 2-3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp of curry
- salt/pepper to taste
- optional: tomatoes, greens
- First off, cook your pasta according to the package.
- Start with peeling the sweet potato. Steam or boil it until soft. Then in a tall bowl, blend together the sweet potato with the mustard, nutritional yeast (for the cheezyness!), curry, and salt/pepper with a handheld blender.
- Start with a little plant-based milk and add more until you achieve a nice creamy texture.
- Then mix up the pasta with the sauce in a big bowl.
- Finally, you can add some fresh tomatoes on top, or some greens or herbs, to add some freshness.