With school back in session, it is even more important to make sure your kids are getting a healthy choice at the evening meal. Here is a “smart” way to add the benefits of a super healthy green vegetable to a tried & true kid’s favorite smart spaghetti and meatballs.
Add spinach to the meatball mixture! There is no difference in flavor and this version goes together quickly….you even use your favorite store-bought spaghetti sauce. I have great results every time & homemade meatballs just taste better than frozen store-bought meatballs. Serve over whole grain/wheat noodles or try them in a meatball sub–Delish!
If you are trying to make “Smart” choices when it comes to making meals your family loves a little more healthy, then this smart spaghetti and meatballs recipe is for you!
Use in a traditional meatball meal with noodles or make delicious meatball subs.
This dish has an amazing and unforgettable taste and flavor.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (10oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1/3 cup Italian/Seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- 3 T. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 jar (24oz) spaghetti sauce
- Mix first 5 ingredients-using 3/4 cup of the Italian cheese and 2 T of the Parmesan.
- Shape into 18 meatballs. Place on a baking sheet sprayed with Pam.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until internal temp is 160 degrees.
- Cook spaghetti noodles as directed on the package while meatballs are baking.
- Heat spaghetti sauce in a separate large saucepan.
- Drain spaghetti.
- Stir cooked meatballs into heated sauce and spoon over noodles.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.