Trying to create that wonderful Mexican shredded chicken Santa Fe you get when you eat at your favorite Mexican restaurant? Wait until you see how easy it is to make a comparable version at home! Just 4 ingredients and a crockpot – YES- that is all it takes and this chicken dish is so versatile, you will find a number of ways to serve it. As a bonus, it is heart-healthy, diabetic-friendly, and low carb.
Last night we served chicken Santa Fe in crispy taco shells and flour tortillas. I often make Tex Mex baked potatoes and this chicken serves as the topping. It is awesome in a Chicken Taco Salad and you will even find it makes a great topping over white or brown rice. Very diet-friendly and kids will love it. I’d love to hear how you serve it in your home.
Another great recipe for the crockpot that gives you a lot of options. Kids love this and it is great on tacos (soft or crispy), on potatoes, in a taco salad, or over rice. It would also make a great filling for chicken enchiladas.
Weight Watchers Points- 3 points per serving. Curves Complete Approved entree. Heart Healthy, Diabetic-friendly, and Low Carb
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes (regular or mild)
- 1/4 cup dry taco seasoning mix
- Optional: add 1/2 teaspoon cumin (to give the chicken a more authentic Mexican flavor)
- Place chicken breast in a slow cooker.
- Pour cans of diced tomatoes and Rotel tomatoes over chicken.
- Add taco seasoning.
- Cook on high for 3 1/2 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Shred with a fork and serve as you wish.