Omg hi! It’s been a while, eh? You were probably worried I died from a poisonous recipe incident but fear not, I AM ALIVE AND THRIVING! So much so that I made up two different types of tacos that I need you to try out for me. Tacos are obviously great because they are so easy to make and so versatile. You pretty much put anything in a tortilla (as long as it’s not poisonous, obvi) and it’ll be fabulous. And let’s talk about tortillas: corn tortillas are superior to flour tortillas, end of discussion.
So these two taco recipes are a little unusual but I made both on two separate occasions where I didn’t have a plan for dinner after work, gathered whatever sounded good, and threw it inside some tortillas. They were amazing but I’ll let you discover that on your own!
Turkey, Black Bean & Bleu Cheese Taco Recipe
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup raw spinach (or any greens you want in your tacos)
- 1/2 red onion (seriously, red and nothing else)
- 1.5 plum tomato
- 1/2 lime
- 8 oz lean ground turkey
- 1 15 oz can of black beans
- 3-4 tbsp bleu cheese
- 1/4 cup Spanish olives
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by prepping the turkey filling. Heat up a pan or skillet with the olive oil and cook the ground turkey along with 1/4 of the onion and garlic over medium-high heat. Drain any excess liquid once the turkey has browned. Toss in the turkey in a saucepan along with the can of black beans (liquid and all), bleu cheese, cumin and cayenne pepper; cook this on medium heat until the cheese has melted and some of the liquid has cooked down to make a creamy mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the salsa next by dicing the remaining 1/4 onion and plum tomatoes into a bowl. Squeeze some lime add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put together your tacos: spinach, black bean and turkey mix, and some salsa. Squeeze some extra lime over the tacos and eat yo face off!
Salsa Verde Chicken Taco Recipe
- 4 tortillas
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1.5 cup of your favorite salsa verde (I used one from my local Mexican grocery store)
- 5-8 radishes
- 1 lime
- 2 spring onions
- 1/2 cup of canned black beans (without the canning liquid this time)
- 1 ripe avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the chicken and salsa verde in your slow cooker. Set the slow cooker on high and cook for 4-5 hours. You should be able to shred the chicken breast with a fork at the end of the process. Remove the shredded chicken from the cooking liquid.
Note: I saved the cooking liquid and used it to make some amazing brown rice; use the same way you would use chicken broth.
- Prepare the salsa by dicing the radishes and spring onions into a bowl. Toss in the black beans, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Compile your taco! Lettuce, shredded chicken, salsa and a slice of avocado. Squeeze some more lime and nom!