Table of Contents
Pineapple is one of the juiciest fruits in the world, widely famous for its tropical flavor. This sweet fruit basically originated in South America and is one of the widely consumed fruits in the world. One of the unique characteristics of pineapple is its sweet-sour taste which makes it stand out from other excessively sweet fruits.
This crunchy fruit is consumed in a variety of ways. Some people prefer it fresh, while others enjoy it canned or juiced. Apart from being a popular dessert, pineapple is also used in salads, jams, ice-creams, candies, and fruit cocktails. The lip-smacking flavor is not the only thing that pineapple offers, it, in fact, is super nutritious and comes loaded with a variety of health benefits.
Pineapple contains a good amount of vitamin C, which is essential for maintaining a good immune system and defends harmful free radicals in the body. It also contains several other essential minerals and vitamins such as manganese, calcium, phosphorous, iron, potassium, vitamin B1, and vitamin 6.
Read further to know more about the health benefits of pineapple.
Pineapple Nutritional Facts
Amount of Pineapple: 1 cup (raw)
Total weight of Pineapple: 100g
|Calories From Carbohydrate||47.2|
|Calories From Fat||1.0|
|Calories From Protein||1.8|
|Total Carbohydrate||13.1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.4 g|
|Fats & Fatty Acids|
|Total Fat||0.1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids||17.0 mg|
|Total Omega-6 Fatty Acids||23.0 mg|
|Vitamin A||58.0 IU|
|Vitamin C||47.8 mg|
|Vitamin K||0.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.2 mg|
Health Benefits of Pineapple
- Pineapple has anti-inflammatory properties and thus, helps in reducing swelling. It further aids in a variety of ailments such as acute sinusitis, sore throat, arthritis, and gout.
- Pineapple is helpful for people with troubled digestion. It helps in processing the food easily, due to its protein-digesting capabilities, and thus, provides relief against symptoms of stomach upset or heartburn.
- Pineapple is a good source of vitamin C, which protects the body from free radicals. Free radicals cause health problems like atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease, asthma, colon cancer, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Vitamin C is a water-soluble antioxidant that defends the body against these infections. Vitamin C also helps in cold and flu conditions.
- Pineapple contains a considerable amount of essential vitamins and minerals, like thiamine and manganese. These elements are helpful in energy production and promoting bone health in the body.
- Regular consumption of pineapple facilitates maintaining the proper health of the eye. It also prevents macular degeneration, which is an age-related health problem.
- Pineapple is known to cure throat infections and bronchitis. Consumption of pineapple is known to provide speedy relief against acute sinusitis as compared to other treatments.
- Pineapple prevents blood clotting, which further aids in removing plaque from arterial walls.
- According to research, not just the fruit, pineapple stem is also helpful and beneficial. The molecules present inside the stem of a pineapple act against certain types of cancer such as ovarian, breast, lung, colon, and skin cancer.
- Fresh pineapple juice is extremely valuable in removing intestinal worms, combating Diptheria, and preventing nausea. Additionally, it also helps cure other infections of the throat or other parts of the body.
Hope this piece of information has increased your interest in pineapple and its numerous health benefits. Next time you hit the market; don’t forget to pick this fruit that comes loaded with essential nutrients and health benefits.