Spaghetti Squash and Roasted Vegetables Recipe
I like spaghetti squash, it’s one of my favorite vegetables, but I’m not a fan of covering up its flavor and texture with spaghetti sauce. To me, it’s not a replacement for spaghetti, it just mimics the texture but it’s so great tasting and yet low carb.
When Filippo Berio sent me samples of Olive Oil, I ran to my cold food storage area (aka the unheated basement) and brought up the spaghetti squash. Squash is a great long storing vegetable, so for us right now this dish is very seasonal and from the local farmers market.
My son assisted me in cooking this day. I was covering for someone on vacation all week, so I appreciated his help. Funny note: in my directions, I told my son to cut the squash in half – which he did – straight across instead of lengthwise. He scooped it out to look like a bowl.
Along with the squash, he roasted turnip, carrots fennel, and onion, all found in our market bag. When I came home and checked on everything, we recut the squash lengthwise si it cooked more evenly.
After we removed the vegetables from the oven and let them cool just enough to handle, we scraped the squash fibers out to look like spaghetti, then sliced the other veggies snd tossed them.
For a little lightness, we added fresh parsley and cut up some pea shoots, and tossed along with the juice of a lemon.
Spaghetti Squash and vegetables, roasted and tossed with parsley and juice of a lemon.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large turnip
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 fennel bulb
- handful fresh parsley
- fronds from fennel
- fresh pea shoots
- 1 lemon
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, brush with olive oil and place cut side down in glass pan.
- Peel onion, turnip, carrots, and fennel bulb (set the stem with fronds aside).
- Slice onion turnip and fennel bulb in half, brush them and the carrots in olive oil, and place cut side down in another glass pan.
- Place both pans in the oven at 350, and roast vegetables in the oven until softened about 30 min – 40 min.
- Scrape the spaghetti squash strands out by drawing a fork through the squash.
- Chop the onion and fennel into one-inch squares separating the layers.
- Thinly slice the carrot, and slice the turnip into a similar size and shape.
- Toss all of the veggies together into a bowl.
- Mince the parsley, the fennel frond – just the leaf and discard the stem.
- Dice fresh pea shoots.
- Juice the lemon and mix the parsley pea shoots and herbs together with the vegetables.
- Place into a glass pan and reheat and serve.