Chili used to be limited to all-beef or beef and pintos. Not any longer…new variations like White Chicken Chili are becoming very popular and the winter weather makes chili a great choice.
Creating a lighter version of chili is easy with the use of chicken breast meat, broth, and white beans. Spice it up with onions, garlic, and seasonings to customize the kick of the heat. This is a gluten-free recipe and full of protein. Top it with some Monterrey Jack cheese to finish. YUM.
This is a great alternative to beef & pinto chili. It has a lighter flavor and you can adjust the heat by leaving out the cayenne. I love this with sweet cornbread. Gluten-free (chili).
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- olive oil
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cans great northern beans
- shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- Bake chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet until done. (I season with Tony Chachere prior to baking.)
- Cool chicken and cut into small cubes.
- In a large stockpot, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add broth, seasonings, beans, and cubed chicken and simmer until heated throughout.
- Pour into bowls and top with Monterrey jack cheese.