My daughter loves milk. She loves homemade juice and not-so-homemade juices too! She normally drinks a lot of water at school but not so much at home. Often, I have to remind her to drink more water. Most Mums might agree that we have to remind our kids to drink more water.
In an effort to encourage her to drink more water, I made flavored water for us. It’s the easiest thing to do for myself and my child too!
Like all my other recipes on this blog, there are no hard and fast rules. You adjust, tweak, go with your gut instincts and make what tastes good, and soothe your taste buds.
Here is an estimate of how I made my flavored water and other suggestions for you!
- Organic Frozen Raspberries (1/2 cup)
- 4 slices of oranges
- A few strands of basil leaves
- Once you place them in a large jar, crush them gently with a stick, something you would normally use in the kitchen of course.
- Once the flavors from the fruits and herbs are released, add water. Close the lid tight and shake it up a bit. Now it is ready to be chilled.
- You could add ice to it but I didn’t because I didn’t really need to drink it right away. Also, if you want something sweeter, use real cane sugar or agave to make it sweeter.
In my case, I didn’t add any and I normally wouldn’t because the fruits give great flavor to the water and it is REFRESHING!
I usually refill it with water at least one more time to take advantage of the fruit juices.
Here are other fruit suggestions. Of course, this depends on where you are and what fruits are in season. In Thailand, I would not be using raspberries or blueberries as we cannot find them fresh and frozen ones are super expensive. Also, I normally use organic berries whenever I can. Frozen is good if you are trying to make cold drinks right away! Avoid using bananas. It would not look or taste good.
Pineapple, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, apricots, apples, limes, lemon, oranges, lychees, mangosteens, mangoes, grapefruit, grapes are just a few ideas to mix and match. For herbs, you might also consider using rosemary, mint, lemongrass, ginger! You can get fresh fruits and freeze them too just for making flavored water! Make your own flavored water today!
Tip: Make it with your child’s favorite fruit! Ask them to help you make it. They can help place the fruits in the jar. Help you stir and taste test it for you too!