Pasta is made from flour, water, and sometimes eggs. It is associated with Italy. There are lots of different types such as fettuccine, fusilli, lasagne, macaroni, tagliatelli, tortelini,vermicelli, zite, spaghetti, ravioli and canelloni.
I love to cook with pasta and I want to share with you some of my favorite pasta recipes. This recipe is for a sauce to go with a pasta of your choice and is for the main meal. This would serve 2 so double up for more portions. I use a large flat pan for making the sauce.
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes–410gm–14oz–2 cups or use fresh skinned tomatoes
- 2 large onions diced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 oz–1/2 cup–100gm of bacon, plain or I prefer smoked, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup–4 oz–100gm sliced mushrooms
- 1 tin of chickpeas-2 cups–14 oz–410gm
- olive oil
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pasta such as macaroni 2 cups–8oz–200gm, this does for 2 but altered to suit your appetites.
- Heat the olive oil and fry the onions (do not brown), add the bacon and garlic, cook for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, stir and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, the tin of chickpeas and oregano, add the salt and pepper, taste, and stir.
- I now cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. I like the pasta sauce to be dry but you may like it more runny, add water according to your preference.
Pasta from dry:
Put boiling water into a large pan, add the dry pasta, cook on simmer until the pasta is firm but not soft, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and serve
Pasta from fresh:
Put boiling water into a large pan. Add the fresh pasta and cook quickly for about 2 minutes. Drain and serve. Put the pasta into individual dishes and cover it with the sauce.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese or a local cheese of your choice on top of the pasta
- Add a chopped chili if you like it spicey